Important Rules and Guidelines
2018 Big E Daily Parade
Below are the Rules and Guidelines that have been set forth for the smooth operation of the Big E parade and, most importantly, the safety of all participants, volunteers and spectators. The rules and guidelines MUST be followed by all participants and will be enforced by Security and Parade officials. If any of the rules and guidelines are not adhered to by a participant, the entry will be removed from the parade lineup and will NOT be invited back to participate in future parades.
New this year:
- Participants apply, and must be approved in writing by ESE staff to participate. No unit will be accepted into the parade on parade day. Please pay careful attention to the deadlines.
- ALL PARADE PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO WALK THE PARADE ROUTE, NOT RIDE IN THE BACK OF TRUCKS. IF FOR SOME REASON SOMEONE IN YOUR GROUP CANNOT WALK THE PARADE ROUTE, PLEASE DISCUSS THIS WITH THE SPECIAL EVENTS DEPARTMENT PRIOR TO THE PARADE.
- ENTRY APPEARANCE:All units must appear in full uniform or costume. Staff or assistants accompanying staff must be properly attired. NO strollers or wagons (unless used for band supplies) are allowed.No additions to the unit are allowed, such as vehicles, people, etc., without prior application and written approval by parade officials, by the deadline.
- NO THROWING OR DISTRIBUTING OF FAVORS OR HANDOUTS. This is extremely dangerous as spectators (particularly children) will run out into the road to retrieve favors or handout and could be struck by a moving vehicle.
- NO ADVOCATING, OPPOSING OR DEPICTING OF ANY POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS, OR SOCIAL ISSUES.
- NO SPRAYING OF WATER OR OTHER LIQUIDS FROM UNITS. This is a serious liability factor, one that could result in personal injury or property damage.
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
- Youth sports teams receive vouchers through their school to participate in the parade.
- No more than 20 representatives for each civic organization. These marchers must wear representative attire and come equipped with a banner so they look cohesive.
- No more than 10 representatives for a business.
- Continue to march behind the State Buildings toward the Transportation Center. Do not disperse your group between the New Hampshire Building and the Moses Building at the end of the parade.
- NO BLOWING OF SIRENS OR VEHICLE HORNS IN THE PARADE! This pertains to all fire companies, fire trucks and any other vehicles. This is a safety precaution in case of an emergency. If sirens are blowing, real emergency vehicle sirens cannot be heard, confusing spectators and parade participants. This is a safety hazard.
- NO PERSONS OR ARTICLES HANGING OVER THE SIDES OF FLOATS OR VEHICLES!
- If a vehicle is needed to represent a business, one vehicle per business will be allowed.Any authorized vehicle must be clean. A parade vehicle pass must be obtained through the Special Events department.
- To Cities and Towns: One vehicle per department is sufficient. This does not include Police or Fire Departments.
- Any vehicle larger than a dump truck should not be brought to the parade. The parade route is very tight, making navigation hazardous for large vehicles.
- Vehicles for the parade will be permitted on fairgrounds through Gate 1 (GREEN GATE) and proceed to Gate 1C, no vehicles will be permitted on the grounds prior to 3:30pm.
- Vehicles will not be permitted on the grounds without a parade pass issued by the Special Events department. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO POLICE OR FIRE VEHICLES.
- All drivers for parade vehicles must remain with their vehicle upon entering at 3:30pm.If a driver is not with the vehicle, that vehicle will not be permitted to line up. Please be sure to check in with our Parade Marshal, no later than 4:15pm.
- PARKING FOR ANY VEHICLE IS NOT PERMITTED WITH ADMISSION. PARKING FOR PARADE VEHICLES IS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FAIRGROUNDS PRIOR TO 3:30 PM.
- ALL VEHICLES MUST EXIT FAIRGROUNDS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE PARADE.
- NO THROWING OR DISTRIBUTING OF FAVORS OR HANDOUTS. This is extremely dangerous as spectators (particularly children) will run out into the road to retrieve them and could be struck by a moving vehicle.
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES DURING PARADE LINEUP. PEOPLE DRINKING AND THEN GETTING BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A VEHICLE IS ILLEGAL AND NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR OUR YOUNGER PARADE PARTICIPANTS TO SEE. Any person drinking alcoholic beverages will be asked to leave the fairgrounds with their vehicle immediately, and will not be allowed back in future parades.
- EASTERN STATES EXPOSITION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY VEHICLE, FLOAT, OR ORGANIZATION FROM THE PARADE LINEUP, AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON.
Please keep in mind a representative of your organization has signed the original entry application, understanding all parade rules and guidelines presented.
Parades are to be fun, entertaining and safe for all participants and spectators. Enjoy!
Please remember to get your hand stamped for re-entry.
NOTE: THE PARADE ORGANIZERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY ENTRY AT ANY TIME AND ALL DECISIONS ARE FINAL. THANK YOU.