The annual 4-H Beef Sale will be held Monday, Sept. 25 at 6pm in the Mallary Complex at The Big E. The sale will help carry on the 86-year legacy of the 4-H Beef Program at Eastern States Exposition. Last year 24 4-H Beef Steer were exhibited and offered for sale in front of a crowd of longtime supporters in The Big E’s Mallary Arena 1. The auction produced an average selling price of $2.70/lb. Proceeds from the sale went directly to the exhibitor, often used to purchase the next 4-H Beef Project animals or for college expenses.
Area businesses, grocers and individuals are invited to support these 4-H youth and participate in Eastern States Exposition’s 4-H Beef Sale during the Fair.
The sale begins with a reception starting at 4:30pm which gives bidders and buyers the opportunity to ask questions of the youth while viewing the prize animals. 4-Hers are knowledgeable ambassadors of agriculture and their projects and enjoy visiting with potential buyers. The result is seeing a young responsible agriculturalist, who understands the details of buying a calf and growing it to market weight, realize his/her hope of profitably selling an animal at The Big E. Bidding begins promptly at 6pm with the grand champion auctioned first.
Purchases may be made personally or donated to help sustain our local food pantries or chosen organization. If interested in purchasing a steer, contact the Agriculture and Education department at 413-205-5009 or attend the sale Sept. 25 at The Big E.
Special thanks to our 2016 beef buyers:
- Don Chase, West Springfield, MA
- Chicopee Savings Bank Charitable Foundation, Chicopee, MA
- Eastern States Exposition, West Springfield, MA
- Hilltown Pork, Canaan, NY
- North American Midway, Hoffman Estates, IL
- Farm Credit East, Enfield, CT
- Stoneyledge Farm, Westfield, MA
- Warren Swanson, Waterford, CT
- Ed’s Plumbing, Barkhamstead, CT
- Greg Kudlic, Feeding Hills, MA
- The Bourque Family, West Springfield, MA
- Francis Gomez, Lakeville, CT
- Southington Beef, Southington, CT
- Chantel Laprise, Bristol, CT
- Art Matthews, Southington, CT
- Fenton River Veterinary Hospital, Scott Morey, Tolland, CT
- Double J Excavating LLC, Tolland, CT
The Fair takes place Sept. 15 – Oct. 1 and will be jam-packed with food, entertainment, and so much more! For up-to-date information on fun-filled activities and events happening throughout the Fair, visit TheBigE.com, join our mailing list, or call our information line at 413-205-5115. Connect with us on social media and check out our app for the latest info, contests and more!